This Thyme Infused Mushroom Gravy stands on it’s own. It’s not about trying to fool carnivores it’s about lovingly splashing a touch of red wine at the mushrooms as they simmer with thyme. Will taste delightful over Roasted Root Vegetables
- 4 cups vegetable broth (low-sodium from Pacifico is great)
- 1 cup chopped onion (white or yellow)
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups mushrooms roughly chopped(shitake, crimini, brown – any kind will work but a variety is best)
- 2 TBS finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 TBS finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup red wine – marsala or merlot
- 2 TBS tamari or braggs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- In a sauce pan over medium-high heat cook onion, garlic and 1 cup of broth together until onion is translucent (approx. 5 min)
- Add in mushrooms, rosemary and thyme and simmer about 2 minutes or until mushrooms release their liquid and start to become tender.
- Add wine and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining broth and bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together tamari, onion powder, garlic powder and arrowroot powder to form a thick paste.
- Add mixture to pan whisking constantly to dissolve.
- Bring to a boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.